3D Issue Knowledge Base3D Issue Version 5Design/Content

PDF Page is too complex?

Contact Support

Question
Every time I go to build a PDF publication I receive the following message “PDF page is too complex”. I’m not sure why this message is coming up, how can I resolve it?

Solution

PDF’s are built by layering graphics on top of each other, sort of like a collage. These graphics come in two forms ‘rasterized’ or rendered graphics and vector graphics.

Vector graphics are essentially a series of geometric points connected by lines which form shapes. The benefit of this is that you can zoom in extremely close and the image will still look clear.

The downside is that these graphics can become difficult to manage, and will increase the file size of a publication. As a result of this, the publication may not render correctly.

How to resolve

There are two methods to resolve this issue

If you have access to the PDF source files

If you have created the PDF in a design suite such as Adobe Illustrator, you can flatten the individual graphics. Using this method you will be able to flatten the larger graphics, leaving the document tangible.

If you do not have access to the PDF source files

This method is a bit trickier; you will have to open the PDF in Photoshop and save it as a new PDF. This will flatten all the graphics, and remove all vectors from your publication. The downside is that it will become less tangible, however unless you’re planning to create an eBook publication the reader won’t notice a difference.

If you have any further queries regarding this article please contact our support team.

Copyright © 3D Issue Ltd 2016. All rights reserved.