“The web is content and the content is the web.”
Take a minute to digest that sentence, what does it really mean?
From the point of view of the World Wide Web, content is the textual, visual or aural content that is encountered as part of the user experience on websites. It may include, among other things: text, images, sounds, videos and animations.
Everything around us is content, design is content, structure is content, metadata is content, everything is content.
Any business using the internet, (and even those who are not), should have a content strategy in place when it comes to planning what it is they want to publish in association with their business. This can take the guise of text, audio, video or anything that can be viewed online, remember everything is content.
Website functionality has increased and in turn web users have become more tech savvy, your site now has to meet the growing demand for advanced interaction and the content that is needed to provide this.
This is not to say you should post just any content, far from it, the whole point of having a content strategy for the web is just that, to have a strategy. Simply more content won’t do; it has to be accurate and relevant. It has to be meaningful.
In order for you to maximize your potential through the content you will provide, you have to ask yourself a few questions.
1. What is content strategy?
In a nutshell, content strategy is a flexible, well-thought-out framework that has goals, a core philosophy and evidence of measuring return on investment.
For a business, content strategy will show you how you can meet your business goals and give your users what they want. It also acts as a sort-of review template, allowing companies to develop and make better decisions further down the line.
2. Who are you trying to reach?
You have to know your audience. Knowledge of age, gender, location and interests will give you a great start in configuring your approach to creating the content that they require.
3. What do they care about?
Once you have worked out who your audience is, you then have to work out what it is that engages them, what makes them sit up and take notice, even prompt them into response? The audience has made the first move by connecting with your page, you have to now explore the possibilities of other interest they may have that is connected with your industry.
Put yourself in the consumer’s shoes, what are their aims and ideals? Structure your content to help them achieve these goals.
4. How often will you provide the content?
Studies show that brands who post consistently, (usually once a day but at least three times a week), have a high engagement rate, this is the perfect platform from which to engage your potential consumers and vitally, to listen to what it is that your consumers are saying and act upon it.
5. Keep it relevant and concise
The content you provide should not only be informative and well designed, but it should also pertain to exactly what it is you are trying to convey, don’t embellish where there is no need to. Let the content do the talking.
6. Play to your strengths
Align your brand to your content and vice verza, after all, this is your field of expertise, show it through the content you provide and the definitive links between the two. It has been shown that posts containing images have a higher open rate; don’t be afraid to jazz up your content with eye catching images. Combining the right media and the right placement will improve your content.
7. Use any and all platforms available to you
Whether it is through blogs, social media, you tube or any other platform, exercise all the avenues, leave no stone unturned in maximizing your reach.
8. Create genuine and helpful content
Once you have created content that is of genuine interest to the consumer, follow it up. If the consumers have questions on the topics that you have raised, engage with them, answer their questions and build relationships going forward that will result in further sales.
What to expect next and how to approach it
Content strategy for the web rests on the planning, creation and distribution of your content, once you have these three fundamentals in place, your goal then is to gather information from your clients, engage and interact with them in turn building healthy long lasting relationships.
Your consumer base is the life blood of your business, if you are listening to them on a regular basis, really listening, then you will quickly establish possible problems and fixes. You will have your finger on the pulse when it comes to consumer mood and behavior.
Once your consumer base realizes that you are supplying regular, high quality content that you will happily engage with them about then you will quickly establish as reputation as a thought leader and raise your brand profile in the process.
Using a platform like Hubs will enable you to encompass all the points I have outlined above, a point worth mentioning which I haven’t touched upon is the ability to publish to any platform, as mentioned on in these blogs before, the smartphone market is gargantuan and should be catered for at every opportunity. Hubs will help you cater for this vital market as well as enabling you to take advantage of the features within the platform, some of which I have outlined below.
These are just some of the features available through 3D Issue Hubs which can make a real difference to your content strategy and its distribution for the web, for more click on the hyperlink above.
– Create one strategy for all devices – create responsive publications for tablets and smartphones. Allow for consistent presentation of content across all devices
– Social media sharing – promote your content throughout your social network with our easy to use social sharing tool. Allow your readers to help increase traffic to your content by enabling them to easily customize your content around their interests and promote your content through their social network.
– Video and audio integration – Integrate video & multimedia into your responsive content.
– API abilities – Hubs’s RESTFUL API exposes all of the functionality of Hubs to all users. With this you can build your content in any language, on any platform and integrate Hubs into all of your applications.
– Built in statistics engine – Watch everything from how long they spend reading your content, to what are the areas that interest each individual reader, or what types of articles have the highest efficiency and much more
– Custom URL’s – with Hubs you can create your own uniques URL’s to suit your brand and make your content archive resonate with your audience and enhance your serach engine visibility.
– Responsive layouts – Hubs dynamically checks the resolution of your readers’ device and automatically formats your content to suit that resolution. No pinching or zooming, just beautifully formatted pages.
– The ability to publish to any platform (an essential tool in today’s smartphone laden world) – your content will automatically adapt to fit the resolutions of any desktop, laptop, tablet or smartphone device. Your content will also be able to be outputted to ePub3 and kindle formats
Utilizing these features for your content strategy for the web combined with top quality, relevant content will ensure that your strategy is as far reaching and as successful as possible. Give your brand the chance it deserves to succeed.
Try 3D Issue Hubs for free today